DIY Designer Black Orb Chandelier

I've been envisioning a black, chunky orb chandelier to go over my dining table for a while, but couldn't bring myself to spend what retailers are asking for these designer lights. If you find yourself in the same situation as I am, take comfort in knowing there is a way to get more bang for your buck! If you are up for a small project and enjoy making something creative, this tutorial is for YOU. 

I started looking at the bones of these lights that I was loving, and realized that they are pretty simple (which is what I love about them) and started seeing how one could be easily made. Here is how you can make this light that retails for $500-$1000, for under $50.


Step One: Pick your bones

You need your bones for your light. I found my black orb decor at my local Home Goods. As soon as I saw it, I knew it would be the perfect bones for a good light. 

Next, you need to get the actual chandelier arm & light socket part. I found my "inside" piece for my light at my local Deseret Industries (DI.) This is a great place to look as people will donate old lights that may have gone out of style or that they just don't want anymore, but is perfect for picking out parts for other lights.

Black Orb Round - Hobby Lobby ($35)
Brass Glass Chandelier - DI ($15)
Excited about my finds at Home Goods & DI! Jackpot

Step Two: Pick your tools

For this project, this is what you will need:
1. Drill
2. Metal bits to fit the size of your wire hole
3. Wire cutters
4. Black spray paint (matte finish)


Step Three: Take apart old lighting fixture

Take a part the old lighting fixture that has the inside chandelier arm and light socket that you will use for your new light. 


When you are done, you want this left over. The light I found at DI had two sets of the arms,
you will only need one for your light.

Step Four: Drill a hole at the top of your Orb

Decide where you want the top of your light to be, and then drill a hole for the wire and chain to feed through to the light fixture below.



Step Five: Put it all together

With all your parts prepped, you are now ready to put it all together.


Step Six: Spray Paint

Once your light has been assembled, it is ready for the final touches of paint. I used a quick drying black spray paint (matte.) It took about two coats to cover well enough.
Tip: Cover the light sockets with tape before you spray paint. If you get spray paint into the metal part of the light socket, your light won't turn on when you wire it to electricity. 

Once your light has completely dried (I usually give mine over night to completely dry), you are ready for the installation.


 

I am in LOVE with how my black orb pendant turned out. And it looks just as professional as any $1,000 light, but didn't blow the budget to get the look.

If you have any questions on any steps of this tutorial, please don't hesitate to ask. And thanks for following along!

-Andrea

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts