First Painting Project | Aspen Way Kitchen Reveal

Let me just start by saying I should say this was our first and last painting project - this one was a real time consumer and was not for the faint of heart! But I had never painted cabinets before, and I needed to experience it first hand. Here's our story of our first cabinet DIY experience...

Most older homes have great bones, but need some serious updating on the design and aesthetic. This is how the kitchen in this home was. The cabinets were really heavy duty with solid wood and nice clean lines. However, they were a heavy grained oak and were a super dark stain. The entire space felt small, dark, and the last thing anyone wanted to do was cook a meal in there. My first thought was to tear out the entire kitchen and start from scratch. Where this is a great option in most situations, the cabinets were in too good of shape to get rid of, and I also wanted to see if we could save on the budget by repainting. So off we went to Home Depot for an insane amount of paint, and I couldn't be happier with the end result: 
















I loved the traditional design detail on the cabinet door, and wanted to update the style a little bit so I added more contemporary cabinet knobs. This is a great way to mix styles if you find yourself drawn to both traditional and more contemporary design styles.

Stay tuned for before and after pictures (they are really good), as well as the full DIY tutorial on how to make heavy-grained oak cabinets look this good painted!

Xoxo,
Andrea

Photography done by LaBuervenich Photography

Comments

  1. Just discovered your site and I love it! Thanks for the inspiration! I hoping to paint our wood kitchen cabinets in the next few years.

    Kitchen Cabinet Santa Fe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to have found your blog! Your kitchen makeover looks beautiful! The information you have shared is very informative. thanks


    Cleveland Kitchen Cabinets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It is really beautiful! Love the cabinets, the floor,You had a wonderful vision and executed it beautifully!


    Kitchen Cabinets Parker

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts